19.10.09

Les plantagenêt


Before arriving here I hed heard about the "vieux Mans"and its typical houses, which I visited as soon as I could (not hard to find, just go straight to the highest building, the Cathedral). However most of the signs and indications in the tram call the place "Cité Plantagenêt". I didn't bother much figuring out what that meant as my mind was occupied with more urgent matters.

When I first stayed in my new old house I arrived already at night, and the streets were still inhabited by these little creatures that escaped a Bosch painting and colonised these pavements and buildings. When I arrive in a new place and have to absorb a lot of information while being worried with practical matters, many new things stick to the brain in a subliminal form. That's why for me the Plantagenêt will always be these strange little figures. They are no longer projected in the streets, but I'm sure they're hiding in my attic (which I didn't visit yet).

Anyway the official story is that the Plantagenêt were a royal house that originated not far from here (in Angers) and ruled most of France and the Brithish Islands in its apogee. The house of Anjou was the ruling dynasty in England until the late 15th century, providing 15 kings. Le Mans is apparently an important place for this house because the first Plantagenêt king of England was baptized here (and their parents living around probably, but wikipedia doesn't go that far).

About the little creatures, they are remaints of a light show which is an important event in Le Mans called "la Nuit des Chimères" in which all the facades in the old town are projected with colourful paintings. I missed this this year so you'll have to wait till next year for the pictures.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

E, como o meu acesso a Le Mans se faz via Goios, são já pelo menos duas as pessoas para quem Plantagenêt são as pequenas criaturas espalhadas pela cidade.

6:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home